It’s hard to believe that I only have two full days left in California! It has gone by so fast and I feel like I’ve hardly seen or done anything. Well, I have done plenty – snowboarding in Tahoe and Idaho, running around beautiful Palo Alto, tasting the wide variety of foods offered in the area and laying by the pool =). For my final days, I have made a NorCal to-do list, because lets be honest, we all get more done when we have a list of things to cross off one by one! Some may say I’m mad as a hatter with the list I have compiled for my last two days… but as we learned watching Alice in Wonderland tonight… in 3D none the less…
- Cross Golden Gate Bridge
- Hike in GG Nat’l Rec area – Marin OR if we’re feeling like a bit of a drive – Muir Nat’l Monument
- Find some thrifty buys in the Haight-Ashbury district (scoped out a few stores on my stroll from the Full House)
- What the hay, why not: Full House house AGAIN.. because apparently it’s supposed to have a red door…
- While I’m on the same street… see if Mrs. Doubtfire can babysit Scott (he’ll be bored by this point in the quest)
- Drive the ENTIRE length of Lombard Street, the *apparently crookedest street in the world, which runs directly into:
- Coit Tower… yeah, we all saw it on the Bachelor and the three of us might have to recreate a picnic up there for lunch.
- This is going to be lots of driving by this point… how about a break for a walk around Fisherman’s Wharf!
- And what would a trip to SF be without stopping at Zara, my favorite European store of all time
- If we have the time: Azkaban.. err I mean Alcatraz – think J.K. Rowling had a bit of inspiration from the famous SF island prison?
- Finally to wind things town, I’m going to say my goodbyes to the wonderful people I’ve met out here (Lins’ friends) with none other than my favorite food: sushi =). I think it’ll top of the day perfectly!
Let’s see how much we can accomplish in one day! The things I’d REALLY like to do before I leave – Napa/Sonoma winery tours, Redwood Forest Nat’l Park and climbing Half Dome in Yosemite – those are all full day trips that I just don’t have the time for in two days. The next time I am in California, these will be first on the list (plus, Linsey will be back to full health by then!).
One thing I’ve become accustomed to while being her is eating breakfast. Back home, I skipped over a healthy breakfast because I had class all morning (early, and would sleep in until the last minute) and needed something on the go (usually a banana) and would be hungry by the time my 8 a.m. class would end. But had I discovered the different possibilities that oats offer, I’d pass on the extra half hour of sleep. My favorite toppings – almond butter or nutella… or both!
Another staple breakfast for me around here has been Greek Yoghurt… which I don’t think my grocery store back in central MN even carries =(…
But my recent discovery while I was checking out recipes in the health magazines in the check out line at Whole Foods: an easy lemon-honey dressing. Mix those with a splash of olive oil and toss with some avocado, tomatoes, mixed greens with dill and you’re in for a treat:
Well I should probably get some sleep if I want to complete everything on my list tomorrow! Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!